Sunday, September 19, 2010

D- for "Winterbirth" by Brian Ruckley

This book was touted as something good to read if you like GRRM's "Song of Ice and Fire". I was disappointed. I tried to finish this book, but I just couldn't. Maybe I'll go back to it at some point, but with Patrick Rothfuss, Joe Abercrombie, Scott Lynch, and GRRM to keep me busy, I doubt it.

The names in this book were just ridiculous. I understand wanting to have names that reflect the societies involved, but they were simply too distracting. After reading the fiftieth name that is 5 words long and looks like "k'lthrazk'tnar" I got tired. Maybe the story is fantastic, but the names needed an editor to get them changed.

This book is not for everyone. The people who like it, LOVE it, but it is definitely not for me, so take care to read a sample chapter somewhere before buying. I usually find myself agreeing with Patrick St-Denis, but it seems our opinions diverge when we run into this kind of fantasy (whatever you might call it). As I said, those who like this book, love it, as is the case with the Malazan books. I cannot personally recommend them, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment