Sunday, September 19, 2010

B- for "A Shadow In Summer" by Daniel Abraham

B- for "A Shadow In Summer" by Daniel Abraham

As my title suggests, this is the beginning of a solid start to a fantasy series. Mainly my problems with the book are nitpicky. They concern the use of the phrase "took a pose" that negates the need to accurately describe what the poses actually are, although I'm sure he remedied this in future volumes. Similar sounding character names or names that begin with the same letter had me confused more often than should be expected even in a fantasy novel. The story is strong, and the prose is done well. I would recommend this book, but not before reading GRRM's song of ice and fire, or Patrick Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind.

Still, if you want to take a look at how good Daniel Abraham is as an author, google: "The Cambist and Lord Iron: A Fairy Tale of Economics By Daniel Abraham." Fantastic short story.  He has what it takes, so later novels might be stronger, although I haven't read them.

No comments:

Post a Comment